Ribeira Sacra Minitour: The Sil river Canyon
Half day tour to the Ribeira Sacra and the Sil Canyon, departure from Ourense. It includes cultural visits and visit to viewpoint. Optional boat tour.
The Ribeira Sacra Minitour is a half-day tour (starting in the morning) is a great opportunity for those who have little time to discover the Ribeira Sacra or who want to make the most of their stay during a short getaway in Ourense and its surroundings.
It is an organized half-day tour to the Ribeira Sacra (morning excursion), with regular departures from the city of Ourense, which will allow the traveler to experience the essence of Ribeira Sacra in the company of a very small group of people. With two tour options (with or without a boat trip), where you can choose if you prefer to take a boat ride through the Cañón del Sil (Sil River Canyon)* or visit the most emblematic viewpoints of Ribeira Sacra.
The Ribeira Sacra Minitour is an ideal excursion to discover “the best kept secret in Galicia” in just a few hours.
Note: Until February 26th, the interior of Santo Estevo monastery will be closed, so instead we will visit the exterior of Santo Estevo monastery and part of San Pedro de Rocas monastery.
Notes about boat ride: the explanations given during the boat ride will be only in Spanish. The stunning scenery is the best part of the boat ride though!
The boat ride option will not be available from December 9th until February 14th, as the boat company will be closed.
Tour in a nutshell
- Half-day tour of the Ribeira Sacra (in the morning)
- Small groups, maximum 8 people
- Organized visits with official guide
- Departure from Ourense (city center): 09:30 (must arrive 5min before)
- Arrival in Ourense: 14:15 (approximate time)
- Price per person: 50€ (without boat ride); 60€ (with boat ride)
What is included
- Transportation from departure place (San Lázaro Park)
- Visit to Monastery of Santo Estevo de Ribas de Sil
- Visit to viewpoint over the Sil Canyon
- Boat ride through the Sil canyon (only in “option with catamaran”)
- Visit to viewpoints of Cabezoás and Balcones de Madrid (only in “option without catamaran”)
The Ribeira Sacra Minitour is an organized half-day tour to the Ribeira Sacra (morning excursion), with regular departures from Ourense, which will let you discover the Ribeira Sacra in the company of a very small group of people. With two tour options (with or without a boat ride), where you can choose if you prefer to take a boat tour through the Cañón del Sil (Sil River Canyon)* or visit the most emblematic viewpoints of Ribeira Sacra.
* Note: the boat ride option will not be available from December 9th until February 14th, as the boat company will be closed.
We will pick up all customers at the bus stop in the San Lázaro Park (Ourense city center), and start the tour from there. We will head to the Monastery of Santo Estevo de Ribas de Sil, one of the most important monasteries in Galicia, in the Northwest of Spain.
During the visit to the Monastery of Santo Estevo de Ribas de Sil, nowadays a Parador de Turismo (a hotel chain that belongs to the Spanish government, used as a way of financing the restoration historical constructions), our guide will show you its history and importance within the Ribeira Sacra through a walk through its majestic cloisters and church.
After the visit, we will head to the pier of Santo Estevo, stopping along the way at a viewpoint over the Sil River Canyon. From this viewpoint we will admire the grandeur of the Canyon and the heroic vineyards located on the other side of the river; that amazing form of vine cultivation that we know as heroic viticulture.
Already at the pier of Santo Estevo, we will make a short stop to regain strength and enjoy those magnificent views. Those travelers who choose the boat ride option* will proceed to embark and enjoy an hour and a half boat trip through the most rugged area of the Sil Canyon and, meanwhile, those who select the option without a boat ride will go, accompanied by our guide, to visit two of the most emblematic viewpoints of Ribeira Sacra: Cabezoás and Balcones de Madrid.
Important: the explanations given during the boat ride will be ONLY in Spanish. The stunning scenery is the best part of the boat ride though!
At the end of the boat ride or the visit to the viewpoints on the Sil Canyon, depending on the tour option chosen, we will head back to Ourense, finishing our Ribeira Sacra half-day tour.
Note: for those who are wine lovers, we also have a special plan for them, the Wine Tours. Also with regular departure from Ourense and in the afternoon. (Both minitours can be combined. See special conditions with our staff).
Meeting Point and Schedule
- Ourense - San Lazaro park – 09:30 am (bus stop at the bottom of the park)
IMPORTANT: departures times are very strict, the tour won't wait for customers that show up late. We recommend you to arrive 5 minutes before to the departure point.
Arrival Time (approximate)
- Ourense - San Lazaro park – 02:15 pm (bus stop at the bottom of the park)
- Without boat ride: 50€ Adults; 40€ children (below 13 years old)
- With boat ride: 60€ Adults; 40€ children (below 13 years old)
- Approximate duration: 4h45min hours from Ourense.
- Language: Spanish / English (other languages please contact us).
- Included: Transportation by 9-seater Van, Visits and Tickets, Visit to wineries and wine tasting, Travel Insurance.
- Not included: anything not mentioned in included. Boat ride in option “without boat ride”
- Ticket: you will need to print or show the receipt that you receive in your email to join the tour.
Recommendations and notices
- If you get dizzy easily, it is recommended that you take some medication for sickness because the roads in the area have many curves.
- There are not many places where you can go to the restroom, try to go when instructed by the guide.
The tour will take place as long as we have a group of at least 2 people, in other case the tour can be canceled by notifying with at least 5 days in advance.
If it gets cancelled we will offer the possibility of traveling privately will be offered at an additional cost, travel on another date available at the same cost, or if the customer prefers the refund.
- Cancellation costs if any.
- A penalty, consisting of 5% of the total trip if the withdrawal occurs more than 10 days and less than 15 days before the date of departure of the trip; 15% between days 3 and 10, and 25% within 48 hours prior to departure. If you do not show up at the scheduled time for departure, you will not be entitled to any refund of the amount paid, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
We use 9-seater vans for transportation. The goal is to offer the best experience possible to our customers, staying away from very big groups.