Ribeira Sacra Wine Tour: The Sil river Canyon
Half day wine tour to the Ribeira Sacra and the Sil Canyon, departure from Ourense. It includes wine tasting in two wineries and visit to viewpoint.
The Mini Wine Tour is a half-day Ribeira Sacra wine tour (starting in the afternoon) to the wine appellation D.O. Ribeira Sacra, designed for wine lovers that want to enjoy a wine tasting day without having to worry about the logistics or transportation.
This Ribeira Sacra wine tour has regular departures from the city of Ourense, so that all those travelers who are on a getaway in Galicia can make the most of their stay.
In this tour you will find out about the viticultura heroica (heroic viticulture) first hand and taste the wines of one of the most artisan wine appellations in the world. All this while we visit some of the most beautiful landscapes of the Ribeira Sacra.
Note:This tour is not currently available.
Tour in a nutshell
- Half-day wine tour around Ribeira Sacra (in the afternoon)
- Small groups, maximum 8 people
- Organized visits with VE staff member
- Departure from Ourense (city center): 15:15 (must arrive 5min before)
- Arrival in Ourense: 20:15 (approximate time)
- Price per person: 60€
What is included
- Transportation from departure place (San Lázaro Park)
- Visit to two Ribeira Sacra wineries with wine tasting sessions
- Visit to Matacas viewpoint (extensive area of vineyards)
We will pick up all customers at the bus stop in the San Lázaro Park (Ourense city center), and start our Ribeira Sacra wine tour from there. We will head to the first winery, Regina Viarum, one of the largest in the Ribeira Sacra Denomination of Origin.
During the visit to the winery we will learn all the peculiarities and details of the wine appellation D.O. Ribeira Sacra in their modern and trendy facilities. You will be surprised by the views of their wine tasting room, that sits literally hanging from the vineyards.
After the visit and the wine tasting session in this first winery, we will continue our wine tour to the other side of the Sil river heading towards the Mirador de Matacás (the Matacas viewpoint), one of the highest and most impressive viewpoints of the Ribeira Sacra. From there we will enjoy a stunning view of many of the (heroic) vineyards of the Amandi subzone. If the weather is nice enough, we will enjoy a small tasting of bica from Castro Caldelas, a typical sweet of Ribeira Sacra, while we admire the sunset in the Ribeira Sacra from the viewpoint of Matacas.
Right after that, we will head to Adega Vella, a family-owned winery that perfectly transmits the essence of Ribeira Sacra viticulture. At the end of the visit we can taste a selection of wines that their owners make with great care.
Finally, we will head back to Ourense via Castro Caldelas, recently named as one of the most beautiful villages in Spain, where we will make a small stop where you will have the opportunity to buy some typical products of the Ribeira Sacra if you wish.
Note: this Minitour can be done together with the Ribeira Sacra Minitour, a half-day tour that includes a visit to a monastery and boat ride through the Cañón del Sil or a visit to two of the most emblematic viewpoints of Ribeira Sacra: Cabezoás and Balcones de Madrid (See special conditions to combine them with our staff).
Note: the order of the tour, as well as the mentioned wineries, is subject to availability and weather conditions, and might be modified if necessary.
Meeting Point and Schedule
- Ourense - San Lazaro park – 15:15 (bus stop at the bottom of the park)
IMPORTANT: departures times are very strict, the tour won't wait for customers that show up late. We recommend you to arrive 5 minutes before to the departure point.
Arrival Time (approximate)
- Ourense - San Lazaro park – 20:15 (bus stop at the bottom of the park)
- Above 18 years old: 60€
- Under 18 years old: 50€
- Approximate duration: 5 hours from Ourense.
- Language: Spanish / English (other languages please contact us).
- Included: Transportation by 9-seater Van, Visits and Tickets, Visit to wineries and wine tasting, Travel Insurance.
- Not included: anything not mentioned in included.
- Ticket: you will need to print or show the receipt that you receive in your email to join the tour.
Recommendations and notices
- If you get dizzy easily, it is recommended that you take some medication for sickness because the roads in the area have many curves.
- There are not many places where you can go to the restroom, try to go when instructed by the guide.
The tour will take place as long as we have a group of at least 2 people, in other case the tour can be canceled by notifying with at least 5 days in advance.
If it gets cancelled we will offer the possibility of traveling privately will be offered at an additional cost, travel on another date available at the same cost, or if the customer prefers the refund.
- Cancellation costs if any.
- A penalty, consisting of 5% of the total trip if the withdrawal occurs more than 10 days and less than 15 days before the date of departure of the trip; 15% between days 3 and 10, and 25% within 48 hours prior to departure. If you do not show up at the scheduled time for departure, you will not be entitled to any refund of the amount paid, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
We use 9-seater vans for transportation. The goal is to offer the best experience possible to our customers, staying away from very big groups.